11 Esophagoscopy Code Updates to Know
• 43191: Rigid transoral esophagoscopy, diagnostic, brushing and washing.
• CPT codes 43192 through 43196 have been created for submucosal injections, biopsy, foreign body removal, balloon dilation, guide wire insertion and dilation over guide wire.
• 43197: Flexible transnasal esophagoscopy, diagnostic, brushing and washing
• 43198: Flexible transnasal esophagoscopy with biopsy
• 43200: Now defined as flexible, rather than rigid or flexible
• 43200 through 43232: Now termed as flexible
Flexible transoral esophagoscopy
• 43211: Flexible transoral esophagoscopy, mucosal resection. Previously reported with 43449 (unlisted procedure, esophagus)
• 43212: Flexible transoral esophagoscopy, stent placement, dilation and guide wire passage
• 43213: New code, flexible transoral esophagoscopy with retrograde dilation
• 43214: Flexible transoral esophagoscopy, balloon dilation, including image. Prior to 2014, imaging was coded separately
• 43229: Flexible transoral esophagoscopy, with ablation, dilation and guide wire passage. This code now includes balloon dilation (43220), insertion of guide wire (43226) and ablation (43228)
CPT Copyright 2013 American Medical Association. All rights reserved. CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.
More Articles on Coding and Billing:
The Fast Approaching ICD-10 Deadline: How Can ASC Leaders Prepare?
Can the ASC Industry Still Effectively Wield Out-of-Network Strategy?
How Does Medical Coder Salary Vary Across the U.S.? 8 Statistics
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review