Top 12 Reasons for Infection Control Non-Compliance
Quick Safety, the organization is increasingly finding noncompliance with standard IC.02.02.01, which concerns risk reduction for infection transmission associated with medical equipment, supplies and devices.
The organization's Office of Quality Monitoring finds the following 12 things are the most common reasons organizations are non-compliant with IC.02.02.01:
1. Staff belief that risk of transmitting bloodborne pathogens or bacterial agents to patients is low
2. Lack of staff knowledge or training on proper equipment sterilization or high-level disinfection
3. Lack of staff access to or knowledge of evidence-based guidelines
4. Lack of leadership support
5. High leadership and/or staff turnover puts equipment sterilization or high-level disinfection lower on the organization's priority list.
6. Lack of safety culture surrounding safety risk reporting
7. Staff do not follow sterilization procedures properly
8. Staff do not take the necessary amount of time required to sterilize or high-level disinfect
9. There is no dedicated staff person to oversee the proper sterilization or high-level disinfection of equipment
10. Space issues or facility design prevent proper sterilization protocol or instrument storage
11. Lack of monitoring or documentation of sterilization or high-level disinfection of equipment, which makes it difficult to track the use of equipment on a specific patient, complicating the patient notification process when an outbreak occurs
12. Equipment is spread throughout the facility and may be processed or stored in numerous locations, making it difficult to track the equipment for documentation purposes
More Articles on Accreditation:
Storing Dantrolene Can Reduce Malignant Hyperthermia Fatalities, Study Finds
ASCA Foundation Elects Ann Geier Liason to AAAHC
2 AmSurg Centers Achieve AAAHC Accreditation
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
AAAHC by the numbers: 4 things to knowRead Now
- 4 healthcare real estate investments to consider
- Value-based modifiers: 33% of large physician groups face 2015 penalties
- PGM Billing launches free ICD-10 code conversion tool
- DISC Sports & Spine Center to launch hip arthroscopy center of excellence: 4 things to know
- Researchers develop new chronic pain scoring system