The views expressed in articles on this channel do not necessarily reflect the views of AAAHC.
Staff Education Tool: Sample Worksheet for Estimating the Annual and Average Cost of Needlesticks and Other Sharps-Related Injuries
Included in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's "Workbook for Designing, Implementing, and Evaluating a Sharps Injury Prevention Program" is a sample worksheet is designed to assist healthcare organizations in estimating the annual and average cost to their organization of needlesticks and other sharps injuries.
The four-page tool follows a stepwise method for identifying each cost associated with the management of an exposed individual. The calculation ignores certain fixed costs that may be associated with a needlestick prevention program, such as surveillance, administration, and building space; and it does not consider the cost of seroconversion.
Download this CDC-developed worksheet (pdf) for adaptation and use in your facility.
Note: View our database providing 150 reports that link to free, downloadable and adaptable tools for use in surgery centers, hospitals and other organizations by clicking here.
Related Articles on Sharps Safety:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- The Future of ACOs for Anesthesiologists
- Healthcare Exchange Traded Funds See Biggest Boom in Years
- FDA Issues Draft Guidance on Off-Label Use Information Dissemination
- Surgical Care Affiliates President & CEO Andrew Hayek Among 2014 Aspen Institute Henry Crown Fellows
- A Look at ASC Valuation Through the Eyes of M&D Companies