Staff Education Tool: Sample Worksheet for Estimating the Annual and Average Cost of Needlesticks and Other Sharps-Related Injuries
Included in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's "Workbook for Designing, Implementing, and Evaluating a Sharps Injury Prevention Program" is a sample worksheet is designed to assist healthcare organizations in estimating the annual and average cost to their organization of needlesticks and other sharps injuries.
The four-page tool follows a stepwise method for identifying each cost associated with the management of an exposed individual. The calculation ignores certain fixed costs that may be associated with a needlestick prevention program, such as surveillance, administration, and building space; and it does not consider the cost of seroconversion.
Download this CDC-developed worksheet (pdf) for adaptation and use in your facility.
Note: View our database providing 150 reports that link to free, downloadable and adaptable tools for use in surgery centers, hospitals and other organizations by clicking here.
Related Articles on Sharps Safety:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
Yankton Medical Clinic ASC gets accreditationRead Now
- GI physician leader to know: Dr. Mark Schattner of Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- 5 key notes on Edward-Elmhurst Healthcare's new liver center outreach clinic
- MEDNAX acquires Lakeshore Anesthesia Services: 4 things to know
- 4 notes on the positive effects of bariatric surgery on Type 2 Diabetes
- 4 recent ASC acquisitions & partnerships — July 7, 2015