Sentinel Event Alert: Preventing Infection from Misuse of Vials
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, there have been 49 outbreaks as a result of mishandling of injectable medical products since 2001. In a survey of nearly 5,500 healthcare professionals, published in the American Journal of Infection Control:
- 6 percent admitted to sometimes or always using single-dose vials for multiple patients.
- 15 percent reported using the same syringe for multiple uses with multiple-dose vials for the same patient. Of that 15 percent, 6.5 percent reported using the multiple-dose vial on another patient.
More Articles on Accreditation:
5 Top Accreditation Mistakes From AAAHC
AAAHC Collaborates on CMS Panel for PPACA Quality Issues
3 AmSurg Centers Gain AAAHC Accreditation
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
5 facts about The Joint CommissionRead Now
- ASC Industry Leader to Know: Sarah Malaniak of Ambulatory Center for Endoscopy
- Affinity Health Plan bolsters executive team: 5 key points
- 10 trendy apps for ASC physicians
- The keys to financial success: How to keep ASCs profitable
- ASC success in the age of consumer responsibility: 3 thoughts on high deductible patients