Sample Additions to Approved Procedures List Policy
Here is a sample additions to approved procedures list policy, used for the clinical policies and procedures manual at Western Reserve Surgery Center in Kent, Ohio, you can adapt for use in your ASC.
To download a copy of this letter, click here (doc).
Additions to Approved Procedures List
SECTION: Risk Management
Procedure: [Name of Procedure]
POLICY: Approval of New Procedure
The Approved Procedure List is reviewed and approved by the Governing Body of the facility on at least an annual basis. Decisions as to the addition or deletion of procedures to this list are based on criteria including but not limited to:
1. Medical history/physical condition of certain patient groups,
2. The standard of medical care in the individual community,
3. Consideration of the recovery period required for the procedure.
4. The necessary training and competency required to perform the procedure.
5. The necessary training and competency required by the facility staff to care for the patient post-operatively.
6. Procedures in which airway compromise is anticipated or expected.
7. Procedures where considerable blood loss is expected or anticipated.
Source: Laurie Simon, Western Reserve Surgery Center. Adapted and reprinted with permission.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
3 key questions for ambulatory healthcare leadersRead Now
- GI physician leader to know: Dr. Marla Dubinsky of Mount Sinai Hospital
- CMOSIS plans to open U.S. office
- Fischer Laser Eye Center among first to adopt topography-assisted LASEK procedure
- British Journal of Anaesthesia names Dr. Kane Pryor to associate editorial board
- Pivotal moments in GI: 4 gastroenterologists share the turning points of their career