The views expressed in articles on this channel do not necessarily reflect the views of AAAHC.
Patient Safety Tool: Surgical/Procedural Verification Protocol
Ohio was the first state to adopt a state-level protocol to prevent wrong-site surgery, and the Ohio Patient Safety Institute provides the free, downloadable Ohio surgical verification protocol.
The protocol was endorsed by more than 10 Ohio organizations. It uses The Joint Commission's Universal Protocol as its basis.
The Ohio protocol is divided into three primary processes: Pre-operative verification, marking the operative site and "time-out" immediately prior to starting the procedure.
Download the Ohio surgical verification protocol (pdf) for adaptation and use in your facility.
Note: View our database providing 150 reports that link to free, downloadable and adaptable tools for use in surgery centers, hospitals and other organizations by clicking here.
Related Articles on Wrong-Site Surgery:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review
5 Tips for Improving Endoscope ReprocessingRead Now
- Randy Oostra, Michael Sanborn, and Dr. Michael Schatzlein to Speak at Becker's Hospital Meeting
- 6 Questions to Help Identify the Best Candidates for Hire
- Medical Device Industry leader to Know: Guntmar Eisen of Paradigm Spine
- Unique Methods of Payment: Opportunities for ASCs?
- ASC M&A Activity: 4 Big Trends for 2014 From HealthCare Appraisers