Patient Safety Tool: Patient Handoff Policy & Form From Morehouse School of Medicine
The Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta, as part of its graduate medical education policies and procedures, provides a downloadable patient handoff policy and sample form.
The three-page policy includes a purpose statement, background information, characteristics of a high-quality handoff and the handoff procedures.
The one-page sample form is used to verify and document the occurrence of five events, including communication of up-to-date information regarding the patient, a verification process and minimizing of interruptions during handoffs.
Download the Morehouse School handoff policy and form (pdf) for adaptation and use in your facility.
Note: View our database providing 80-plus reports that link to free, downloadable and adaptable tools for use in surgery centers, hospitals and other organizations by clicking here.
Related Articles on Patient Handoffs:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- 5 Areas That Trip Up ASCs During Accreditation Evaluations
- CMS Loosens Medicaid Enrollment Process
- Best Practices: Documentation and Reporting for Post-Operative Pain Management Procedures in Anesthesia
- Joint Commission Appoints Mark Pelletier COO, Division of Accreditation, Certification
- Johns Hopkins: Blood Transfusions Overused During Surgery