The views expressed in articles on this channel do not necessarily reflect the views of AAAHC.
Patient Safety Tool: Patient Discharge Planning Checklist From CMS
CMS has developed a free, downloadable discharge planning checklist for patients preparing to leave a hospital or other healthcare setting.
"Your Discharge Planning Checklist" is a six-page pamphlet which asks patients to answer more than a dozen questions including:
- Ask where you will get care after discharge.
- Ask about problems to watch for and what to do about them.
- Ask if you will need medical equipment.
- Ask the staff to show you and your caregiver any other tasks that require special skills like changing a bandage or giving a shot.
The pamphlet also allocates a space for noting medications and upcoming appointments.
Download the patient discharge planning checklist (pdf) for use in your facility.
Note: View our database providing 90-plus reports that link to free, downloadable and adaptable tools for use in surgery centers, hospitals and other organizations by clicking here.
Related Articles on Patient Discharge:Physicians Fall Short in Delivering Post-Discharge Instructions to ED Patients, Research Suggests
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review
7 Surgery Centers Recently Earning AAAHC AccreditationRead Now
- A New Innovation in Postoperative Spine Surgery Pain Management: Q&A With Dr. Peter Whang of Yale
- Hawthorn Surgery Center Relocates ASC in Illinois
- Surgical Notes Launches Mobile Transcription App
- Hennepin County Medical Center to Build $191M Clinic, Outpatient Surgery Facility
- Sheridan Healthcare Takes Step Toward IPO