The views expressed in articles on this channel do not necessarily reflect the views of AAAHC.
Patient Safety Tool: Patient Discharge Planning Checklist From CMS
CMS has developed a free, downloadable discharge planning checklist for patients preparing to leave a hospital or other healthcare setting.
"Your Discharge Planning Checklist" is a six-page pamphlet which asks patients to answer more than a dozen questions including:
- Ask where you will get care after discharge.
- Ask about problems to watch for and what to do about them.
- Ask if you will need medical equipment.
- Ask the staff to show you and your caregiver any other tasks that require special skills like changing a bandage or giving a shot.
The pamphlet also allocates a space for noting medications and upcoming appointments.
Download the patient discharge planning checklist (pdf) for use in your facility.
Note: View our database providing 90-plus reports that link to free, downloadable and adaptable tools for use in surgery centers, hospitals and other organizations by clicking here.
Related Articles on Patient Discharge:Physicians Fall Short in Delivering Post-Discharge Instructions to ED Patients, Research Suggests
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review
Researchers testing surgical ‘black box’ to reduce errorsRead Now
- ASCAI victory in Illinois leads to changes for Medicare-certified ASCs
- 24 new statistics on ASC staff salary, wages across the country
- Will political conflict stop the U.S. from tackling its healthcare spending problem?
- Has Maryland found a solution to the U.S. healthcare cost crisis?
- CMS: 3 new ICD-10 testing weeks