Patient Safety Tool: Hand Hygiene Questionnaire for Staff
A hand hygiene joint project between the Department of Veterans Affairs and 3M produced a number of valuable tools that used the Six Sigma process, including a free, downloadable questionnaire for measuring local perceptions and attitudes regarding hand hygiene in healthcare settings.
Download the hand hygiene questionnaire developed for the VA-3M Six Sigma project by clicking here (doc) and adapt it for use in your facility.
If you are going to use the questionnaire in your facility, here are some points VA suggests you consider:
- If you are going to observe the quantity of alcohol-based hand rub used, it's best to do the observations before distributing the questionnaire.
- The questionnaire has the potential to raise awareness, thus making your baseline observed level of hand hygiene compliance higher than it was prior to issuing the questionnaire.
- Another interesting point is that during the project and in other published studies, a large disconnect between the self-reported compliance and the observed compliance was noted.
- People don't seem to realize hand hygiene opportunities are being missed. For example, before and after patient contact or after removing gloves.
Note: View our database providing 85-plus reports that link to free, downloadable and adaptable tools for use in surgery centers, hospitals and other organizations by clicking here.
Related Articles on Hand Hygiene:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- CDC chief fears deadly Candida auris could spread: 6 notes
- Survey says 33% of providers using telehealth services
- Payer group advocates for continuing cost sharing reductions — 4 key notes
- The Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety adds associate editors
- Northwest Ohio Orthopedics & Sports Medicine opening surgery center: 4 key notes