CMS: Survey Agencies, Accrediting Organizations Must Report Infection Control Breaches for Deemed Status ASCs
mandated infection control breaches identified during any Medicare Deemed Status Survey, state survey agency or accrediting organization should report the breaches to the appropriate state authorities for public health assessment and management, effective immediately.
The following infection control breaches identified during any Medicare Deemed Status Survey should be reported:
• Using the same needle for more than one individual.
• Using the same — pre-filled/manufactured/insulin or any other — syringe, pen or injection device for more than one individual.
• Re-using a needle or syringe which has already been used to administer medication to an individual to subsequently enter a medication container and then using contents from that medication container for another individual.
• Using the same lancing/finger-stick device for more than one individual, even if the lancet is changed.
State survey agencies may refer other infection control breaches in addition to those described above if recommended by their state public health authorities and accrediting organizations also have the discretion to refer additional breaches.
More Articles on Accreditation:8 Steps to Improve Robotic Surgery Protocols
2 AmSurg Centers Complete AAAHC Surveys
CDC Releases 2 Videos on Safe Injections
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
ASC accreditation leader to know: Dr. David Watts of AAAASFRead Now
- Options Women's Clinic gets AAAHC accreditation
- $5B in medical office buildings sold in 2014 — And investors are ready for more
- AmSurg's Ben Flatt completes Young Leaders Council training
- Exceptional ASC nurse leaders: Key advice for finding & keeping them
- pCLE effective at diagnosing biliary cancer patients during ERCP, study says