8 Clinical Findings on Colonoscopy From AAAHC Institute
Here are eight clinical findings from an AAAHC Institute for Quality Improvement 2011 study on colonoscopy. Eighty-eight organizations that perform a combined total of more than 282,000 colonoscopies annually participated in the study.
1. The median pre-procedure time (from patient check-in to insertion of the scope) was 60 minutes (range 14 to 130). Organizations with the shortest times use processes such as preparing paperwork before the patient arrives, PRN staffing and scheduling efficiencies.
2. Average procedure times (from "scope in" to "scope out") ranged from seven to 42 minutes (median 18). Procedure time may vary with the complexity (number of findings, biopsies, removals) of the colonoscopy.
3. The median discharge time was 39 minutes (range 10 – 71 minutes). Organizations with the shortest times attributed their results to the use of sedatives that allow patients to recover quickly, and sufficient recovery room staff.
4. 96 percent of patients were able to schedule their procedures as soon as they wanted.
5. 74 percent reported little or no discomfort during pre-procedure bowel preparation.
6. 96 percent reported little or no discomfort during the procedure.
7. 99 percent said they received written discharge instructions.
8. 99 percent said they would recommend the procedure to a friend.
To learn more about these studies and other ambulatory healthcare reports from the AAAHC Institute, visit www.aaahciqi.org.
More Articles Featuring the AAAHC Institute:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- Why ASCs should prioritize personalities in staff recruitment: Select Physicians Surgery Center's administrator shares insight
- AAAHC names Dr. Vicky Gordon interim president & CEO: 3 notes
- Emergent BioSolutions receives contract for Zika vaccine: 4 things know
- Obama administration to update Medicare Part B payment proposal, but will this be enough to squash opposition?
- Illinois Department of Insurance approves $37B Aetna, Humana merger: 4 key points