7 Statistics on Surgery Center Outcomes From the ASC Association (2Q 2011)
Here are seven statistics on ambulatory surgery center outcomes from the ASC Association's Outcomes Monitoring Project 2nd Quarter (April-June) 2011 Report, which saw more than 600 ASCs participating in the survey.
1. 90.8 percent of responding ASCs were accredited.
2. Average payor mix:
- 42.2 percent commercial
- 30.0 percent Medicare
- 5.7 percent Medicaid
- 5.7 percent workers' comp
- 16.5 percent other
3. 57.3 percent of responding ASCs were single-specialty.
4. On average, 67.2 percent of patient encounters started on time.
5. 59.4 percent of responding ASCs reported an operating room time per patient encounter of between 21.0 and 60.9 minutes.
6. 99.8 percent of reporting ASCs had a malignant hyperthermia rate of 0.00 per 1,000 patient encounters.
7. 81.3 percent of responding ASCs reported no hemorrhage or excessive bleeding per 1,000 patient encounters.
Editor's note: The Outcomes Monitoring Project is a quarterly clinical benchmarking survey that is a member benefit for ASC Association members. In addition to the written report, participants received a summary of indicators showing their ASCs' individual results and national data in a table format designed to make comparisons easy. ASC Association members are eligible to participate in the project at no cost. For information about becoming an ASCA member, contact Mykal Cox at firstname.lastname@example.org or (703) 836-8808.
More Articles Featuring the ASC Association:
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
Harbin Clinic's Endoscopy Center achieves 3-year accreditationRead Now
- 6 hospitals, health systems planning or opening ASCs – March 5, 2015
- GI physician leader to know: Dr. Atilla Ertan of UT Health Science Center
- Acute liver failure due to prescription drug usage not likely, study finds
- Chicago start-up launches app that sends nurses straight to patients' homes
- 7 things for ASC leaders to know for Thursday – March 5, 2015