5 Hardest Joint Commission Ambulatory Care Standards
The Joint Commission has identified the five most challenging ambulatory care accreditation standards in the first half of 2013.
Here are the five standards that were most frequently deemed not compliant for facilities in the ambulatory care program in the first half of the year. Percentages reflect the rate of noncompliance in 2013. The first four are the same top four challenging requirements identified in 2012; the percent of noncompliance in 2012 is in parentheses.
1. The organization grants initial, renewed or revised clinical privileges to individuals who are permitted by law and the organization to practice independently (HR.02.01.03) — 50 percent (52 percent in 2012).
2. The organization safely stores medications (MM.03.01.01) — 38 percent (34 percent in 2012).
3. The organization reduces the risk of infections associated with medical equipment,
devices and supplies (IC.02.02.01) — 37 percent (31 percent in 2012).
4. The organization identifies risks for acquiring and transmitting infections (IC.01.03.01) — 28 percent (24 percent).
5. The organization safely manages high-alert and hazardous medications (MM.01.01.03) — 23 percent
The fifth most challenging requirement for the first half of 2013 was not identified among the top challenges in 2012. Last year, the fifth most challenging requirement was EC.02.02.01: "The organization manages risks related to hazardous materials and waste" at 18 percent noncompliance.
More Articles on The Joint Commission:
Joint Commission Releases Proposed Requirements for Stroke Center Certification
Joint Commission Revises Laboratory Accreditation Requirement
Leadership Engagement to Improve Patient Care Moderately Effective, According to The Joint Commission
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2015. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
New From Becker's ASC Review
AAAHC accredits the Illinois University Student Health ServicesRead Now
- Pain physicians - Beware of your CPA's advice on asset protection: The advice you get may be inaccurate
- President Barack Obama using Oregon Trail to drum-up young health insurance enrollees
- AAAHC accredits the Illinois University Student Health Services
- 15 statistics on ASC hours per case
- ASC by the numbers: 13 statistics