Medicare Guide to Anesthesia Claims Modifiers
- AA — Anesthesia services performed personally by the anesthesiologist.
- AD — Medical supervision by a physician; more than four concurrent anesthesia procedures.
- G8 — Monitored anesthesia care for deep complex complicated or markedly invasive surgical procedures.
- G9 — Monitored anesthesia care for patient who has a history of severe cardio-pulmonary condition.
- QK — Medical direction of two, three or four concurrent anesthesia procedures involving qualified individuals.
- QS — Monitored anesthesia care service. For information purposes only; providers must report actual anesthesia time on the claim.
- QX — CRNA service; with medical direction by a physician;
- QY — Medical direction of one certified registered nurse anesthetist by an anesthesiologist.
- QZ — CRNA service; without medical direction by a physician.
- GC — These services have been performed by a resident under the direction of a teaching physician. This modifier is reported by the teaching physician to indicate that he or she rendered the service in compliance with CMS teaching physician requirements. One of the above payment modifiers must be used in conjunction with the GC modifier.
Source: CMS, Medicare Claims Processing Manual: Chapter 12 — Physicians/Nonphysician Practitioners (pdf).
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2016. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.