Former Kaiser anesthesiologist claims cost-cutting measures jeopardized patient safety; files lawsuit: 8 things to know
Erik Franck, MD, a former anesthesiologist with Oakland, Calif.-based Kaiser Permanente, has filed a $9 million lawsuit against the health system, according to an Oregon Live report.
Here are eight things to know:
1. The suit claims that Dr. Franck was fired after he complained about Kaiser's cost-cutting measures. He claimed the cost-cutting measures endangered patient safety.
2. Allegedly, one of the measures was a mandate telling anesthesiologists to reduce the amount of anesthetic or anti-anxiety medication given so patients could be discharged sooner.
3. Management at Kaiser allegedly told anesthesiologists to warn patients that they were going to be in pain post-surgery, according to the suit.
4. Dr. Franck's suit is the third of its kind to be filed against Kaiser. An oncologist and sleep-clinic physician also claimed that certain measurers were endangering patients.
5. Dr. Franck joined Kaiser in 2013 and provided care in its Portland, Ore., area clinics.
6. In August 2015, Kaiser told Dr. Franck that his contract would not be renewed.
7. According to the suit, he had repeatedly voiced concerns regarding the measures during his time with Kaiser.
8. The lawsuit was filed last week in Multnomah County Circuit Court.
More articles on anesthesia:
AmSurg's Sheridan acquires Resolute Anesthesia and Pain Solutions, South Lake Anesthesia Services: 6 things to know
U.S. Anesthesia Partners, East Texas Anesthesiology Associates partner: 4 points
8 latest notes on anesthesiologist pay
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
- Non-Medicaid expansion states could gain up to $27.9B in savings by expanding program: 4 takeaways
- Senate committee advances vote on Trump's FDA pick Dr. Scott Gottlieb
- GI leader to know: Dr. Michael Sagatelian of Palmetto Digestive Health Specialists
- Drs. Todd Baron & Kevin Collier: 2 GI physicians in the headlines
- New Century Spine and Outpatient Surgical Institute installs Indigo-Clean disinfecting lights