6 Steps for Anesthesiology Practices to Prevent Patient Data Breaches
The Office of Civil Rights is doggedly enforcing HIPAA privacy and security requirements. Here six steps that anesthesiology practices can take to prevent breaches, according to lessons learned from the numerous breaches reported to OCR:
1. Ensure the organization's security risk analysis and risk management plan are thorough.
2. Conduct a security evaluation when there are operational changes that could affect the security of protected health information and ensure that appropriate physical and technical safeguards remain in place during the changes.
3. Ensure protected health information that is stored and transported on portable electronic devices is properly safeguarded.
4. Implement clear policies and procedures for the proper disposal of protected health information in all forms.
5. Ensure physical safeguards are in place to limit access to facilities and workstations that maintain protected health information.
6. Ensure employees are trained on the organization's privacy and security policies and procedures, including appropriate uses and disclosures of protected health information.
More Articles on Anesthesia:MEDNAX Acquires Anesthesia and Pain Management Group
Anesthesiologist Compensation: 5 Points
Dr. Guy Cavaliere Joins AllCare Clinical Associates
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2017. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
- Non-Medicaid expansion states could gain up to $27.9B in savings by expanding program: 4 takeaways
- Senate committee advances vote on Trump's FDA pick Dr. Scott Gottlieb
- GI leader to know: Dr. Michael Sagatelian of Palmetto Digestive Health Specialists
- Drs. Todd Baron & Kevin Collier: 2 GI physicians in the headlines
- New Century Spine and Outpatient Surgical Institute installs Indigo-Clean disinfecting lights