10 Things to Know About Sheridan Healthcare
Here are 10 things to know about Sheridan Healthcare:
1. Physician-led and managed, Sheridan Healthcare partners with more than 351 hospitals and medical facilities across the nation. It is owned by private-equity firm Hellman & Friedman.
2. Sheridan Healthcare has retained its first anesthesia medical group clients since 1953.
3. Sheridan Healthcare includes a community of more than 2,200 physicians and allied healthcare professionals, and its provider retention rate is 98 percent. It offers its professional staff a collaborative work environment as well as leadership support and training.
4. The CEO of the company is John Carlyle, who has more than 25 years of senior leadership experience in the healthcare industry, and the president is Robert J. Coward, who prior to joining Sheridan, served in the audit department for PriceWaterhouseCoopers and as the director of accounting for a regional dialysis provider.
5. Sheridan Healthcare began offering children's services in 1982 and is one of the nation's most experienced neonatal services providers. Its client retention rate for children's services is 93 percent.
6. Sheridan also offers physician services for office-based practices in the following specialties: obstetrics & gynecology, gynecology, gynecologic oncology, perinatology and pain management.
7. Sheridan Healthcare physicians have several achievements under their belt and have been named to leadership roles in various departments and organizations. In 2013, Sheridan Healthcare's Richard Berlin, MD, was appointed as associate CMO of Operation Smile, a medical charity helping children with cleft lips, cleft palates, facial tumors and burns.
8. The company includes the Sheridan Leadership Academy, which originally began as a forum to bring its physicians and allied health providers together in a collaborative environment. Today, the academy is a comprehensive program through which the company invests in the development, training and education of its clinical leaders.
9. Sheridan Healthcare is one of the major players in the anesthesia provider market and offers services in 25 states. In 2013, it added its first California-based anesthesia practice — Medical Anesthesia Consultants Medical Group in San Ramon — as well as three more anesthesia groups in New Jersey. Its most recent affiliation was with Greater Florida Anesthesiologists in Clearwater in February.
10. In April, Sheridan Healthcare announced it had hired banks for an initial public offering that could raise up to $500 million and value the company at more than $2 billion, according to a Wall Street Journal report. An IPO would mark a return to the public markets for Sheridan, which was taken private by Vestar Capital Partners in 1999 for about $155 million, according to the report.
More Articles on Sheridan Healthcare:3 Protocols for Healthcare Facilities to Identify Difficult to Intubate Patients
Sheridan Healthcare Affiliates With Greater Florida Anesthesiologists
Sheridan Healthcare Names Winners of Leadership Academy Awards
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.
To receive the latest hospital and health system business and legal news and analysis from Becker's Hospital Review, sign-up for the free Becker's Hospital Review E-weekly by clicking here.
New from Becker's ASC Review