10 Benchmarking Statistics for Ambulatory Surgical Centers
1. The mean EBIDTA margin of ASCs depends greatly on the amount of total ASC revenues. For centers with revenues of between $5 million and $9 million, EBIDTA margins are on average in the 32 percent range. For centers at $3 million to $5 million in revenue, EBIDTA margins are on average in the 17 percent range. Above $9 million, average ebitda margins rise to close to 36.5 percent.
2. The average number of full-time equivalent staff at ASCs is 32.4. Roughly 66 to 67 percent of this staff is nursing and clinical staff.
3. Average hours per case across all ASCs is approximately 14.9 hours per case.
4. The median ASC administrator in the Intellimarker survey for 2007 earned about $96,000 a year.
5. The average nurse's salary was approximately $27.05 per hour.
6. The average of all employee salaries and related costs equalled approximately 30 percent of revenues. The lowest quartile of centers managed to maintain these costs at closer to 23 percent of revenues.
7. The median ASC rental rate was approximately 27 dollars per square foot, costs inclusive of triple net costs were closer to 32 dollars per square foot.
8. Average days outstanding in accounts receivable across centers equalled about 45 days.
9. The average number of cases per center of all centers surveyed equalled approximately 3,950 cases per annum.
10. The top two physicians at a center accounted for approximately 27 percent of the cases at centers, the top five accounted for about 50 percent, and the top 10 accounted for 71 percent of cases.
© Copyright ASC COMMUNICATIONS 2012. Interested in LINKING to or REPRINTING this content? View our policies by clicking here.